Sprouted Tofu Asian Lettuce Wraps
- Servings -
- My Notes -
- 0.25 cup Tamari
- 2 tablespoon Peanut Butter - natural (crunchy)
- 1 tablespoon White Miso Paste
- 1 tablespoon Clover Honey
- 2 teaspoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 teaspoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- 0.5 teaspoon Chili - flakes, crushed
- 2 tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 1 ounce Extra Firm Tofu - 1oz package,crumbled
- 1 Red Bell Pepper - diced
- 2 teaspoon Minced Ginger
- 0.5 cup Hoisin Sauce - (see above)
- 1 can Water Chestnuts - (8-ounce) , drained and diced small
- 3 Green Onion - thinly sliced, green parts only
- 0.25 cup Peanuts - chopped
- Rice - to taste
- 3 large Carrots - cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 0.5 cup Fresh Cilantro - leaves or cilantro sprouts
- 3 tablespoon Black Sesame Seeds
- To prepare the hoisin sauce, combine the first 7 ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until combined. The sauce should be smooth but still have chunks of peanuts. Set a side.
- To make the filling, heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the crumbled tofu to the pan and sauté for ~ 5 minutes, stiring occasionally. Add the diced bell peppers, stir and sauté for another 5 minutes. Then add the minced ginger and homemade hoisin sauce, stir to combine and cook another minute.
- Toss in the water chestnuts, green onions, and peanuts and cook until warm, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Assemble the Wraps: Layer lettuce leaves with cooked quinoa or rice, a heaping spoonfull of tofu filling, a few carrot ribbons, some cilantro, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
We recommend Wildwood Sprouted Extra Firm Tofu for this recipe. Honey contains fructose. Northern latitude honey (clover, raspberry, alfalfa) contain a closer ratio of fructose to glucose than tropical honey (like the honey that Monash University tested and noted as a high fodmap food). Since northern latitude honey contains a closer ratio of fructose to glucose, this improves fructose absorption and we find that many people with fructose intolerance can enjoy a small amount of northern latitude honey. Please try this and see how you do (easy enough to test out in tea, like Rooibos tea). Guest Guru Patsy Catsos recommends to her patients and readers, to not include honey. If you were referred to GutRxGurus by Patsy, please omit honey from this recipe. We're happy to make a suitable substitution suggestion. Feel free to post a question in the forum!