Ethiopian Sweet Potato Salad
- Servings -
- My Notes -
- 1 large Yam - or sweet potato
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper - seeded and minced
- 0.25 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 0.13 teaspoon Salt
- 0.13 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Beet - steamed and peeled
- 0.25 teaspoon Mustard Seed
- 0.13 teaspoon Fenugreek Seed
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Chives - finely chopped
- To make the salad, skin and cut the large sweet potato into 1 inch sized cubes. Bring a large pot with salt and water to a boil on high heat, and boil sweet potato cubes for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain potatoes, and let them sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the minced jalapeno in a medium sized mixing bowl with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add cooked sweet potato, and gently combine.
- Dice the beet and add until a pink/orange shade is created. Heat a small frying pan on high heat, and toast mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Add to the salad, along with chopped fresh chives.
The sweet potato can be substituted with regular potatoes, but require a longer boiling time.